Monday, February 23, 2009

How Come You Don't Call Me Anymore?


One thing I know for sure is that the best way to stop raising money is to stop asking for it! Stick to your big bold audacious plans, and stay in touch with your donors now more than ever.

I'm sure that many of you are wondering if this is even a good time to be raising and asking for money. I've talked to a few groups who have even delayed or canceled their next fundraising drive and all but stopped reaching out to their individual donors.

I have a shortlist of favorite charities I give money to annually. In the past, I've given healthy donations several times a year and pretty much in tandem with their fund appeal letters. Right now, I can't donate as easily and as often, however, I do still donate. On my desk, I have a folder that holds the organizations latest newsletters, fund appeal letters etc. Before I write checks, I look at these things to remind me of the great work I'm supporting (instead of buying that new Coach bag) and to determine how much I should give in proportion to the organizations need.

Back in October, two of these favorite charities asked me for donations. I let them both know I unable to donate at the time, but to keep me posted on their work. Can you believe that I've not heard from either organization (no calls, emails, newletters, etc) since then? Just because the 3rd week of October 2008 was not a good time for me to donate does not mean that I do not care about the organizations work, or would not have been prompted to write a check after hearing about one of their recent success stories, events, etc.


In the song, " How Come You Don't Call Me Anymore" , Prince grieves the object of his affection that suddenly stops calling as much as she used to. Prince has a unique way of showing his grief and much like Prince, it can be confusing and disconcerting to donors when you shower them with calls and information and suddenly disappear (just don't count on your donors to chase you down and make songs in your honor).

Now is the time to keep your donor relationships fresh. Donors invest their time and money in your work and genuinely want to hear about your progress. Show that you care and keep them informed of your initiatives-- even during these hard times.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is all about how non profit organizations and their supporters are creating and promoting change by raising resources: time, money and talent from the communities they serve.